First and foremost, be sure to seek medical attention for any serious injuries that result from the accident. Seeking medical attention in a timely manner is a crucial step to ensuring your health going forward and will play a role in the outcome of your claim.
For the bodily injury portion of your claim … be sure to document, document, document! We’ve put together a checklist of what you should do after you’ve experienced bodily injury as a result of a car accident.
Car Accident Injury Checklist:
Here are a few things you can do immediately after a car accident to maximize your potential compensation…
- Take notes about the vehicles involved in the accident. This includes make, model, year, and licenses plates.
- Take photographs of the vehicles involved in the accident. This includes the accident scene (including street signs and skid marks) as well as any previous damage that may have been present. The more photographs, the better!
- Get the insurance status of all vehicles and persons involved. This may include owners’ names, addresses, and phone numbers.
- Note the names and badge numbers of any police officers who responded to the accident scene.
- Document all medical attention that you received as a result of the accident injury
- Take photographs of your injuries.
- Keep a journal of your injuries and the pain or limitations you are experiencing in your life due to your injuries. Do this for all the days, weeks, and months that follow your accident.
- Do not use social media to discuss your accident! This is not a platform to make your case. In fact, avoid any references to your accident, your health, or your circumstances as they may be used against you in your case.
- Gather any and all medical and wage loss records to assist in proving your bodily injury claim.
- Review your insurance policy to see if you have any coverages that may apply. It’s particularly important to look for medical payments coverage along with any uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
Those are the highlights. For a detailed checklist, feel free to reach out and ask for help!
Need Help with a Car Accident Injury Case?
Don’t feel like you need to navigate this process alone. As your car accident attorney, we can help you to understand what your coverage is and what your next best steps are with your insurance company.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team of experienced injury attorneys. You’re not alone, we can help you navigate through the uncertainty of your current situation.